We are honoured & privileged to live & work on the traditional territory of the Ko’moks First Nation.
CV Social Planning Society Meeting
Tuesday September 3, 2019
Present: Bunny Shannon; Pam Munroe; Joanne Schroeder: Betty Tate; Arzeena Hamir; Wendy Morin; Vickie Brown; Sheila McDonnell; Edwin Grieve; Stephanie McGowan, John Higgenbotham, Cliff Boldt, Roger Kishi
Regrets: Jess Shannon; Hugh McKinnon; Liz Gilbank
- Receipt of March 5, 2019 minutes: Approved as circulated
- Treasurer’s Report: Pam requested that we contribute $100 to the Eat, Think, Vote event that we are co-sponsoring (see item 3). Passed
- Federal Election
Briefing note – A draft briefing note for Federal Candidates related to Poverty Reduction and Food Insecurity was discussed and some minor changes were suggested. The changes will be made and the briefing note will be sent to the CV Community Health Network for endorsement. Lush Valley will also be endorsing it.
- The briefing note changes will be made, endorsements added and then it will be sent to the Candidates and shared with minutes of meeting and on our website and FB page.
- All members will share the briefing note with others and encourage them to submit questions to All Candidates meetings.
Eat Think Vote event Oct 10 11:45-1:15PM, Craft Room, Lewis Centre – we are co-sponsoring this event with the Community Health Network; Lush Valley and United Way Central and North Vancouver Island. These events are happening all across the country to engage federal candidates in an event focused on food security. A light lunch will be provided. Candidates from both Courtenay- Alberni and North Island-Powell River are being invited. The questions from the briefing note will be asked to candidates. Information about the event will be shared with members – please share with others and encourage them to attend this chance to meet local candidates. It will also be shared on our FB page.
All Candidates Meetings:
- Climate Change All Candidates Meeting – Oct 4, 2019, 6:30 PM Florence Filberg Centre – Courtenay –Alberni candidates
- Chamber of Commerce All Candidates meeting Oct 9, 2019 6 PM – 8PM Mark Isfeld Secondary– Courtenay- Alberni Candidates
- Watch for info about an event in Comox with North Island- Powell River candidate
- Social Planning Workshop Update
As a follow up to the meeting with local government representatives after our AGM in May, Betty, Bunny and Jessie have been communicating with Scott Graham at SPARC to discuss a workshop this fall that SPARC will support and facilitate. The workshop would be attended by would by CVSPS members, local elected officials and local municipal staff. The purpose of the workshops will be to:
- support learning and dialogue about community social planning and the role of different community stakeholders (local government, non-profits, School District etc)
- co-explore possible future directions for collaboration on social planning practices and tools in pursuit of shared goals and planning activities
- build consensus on the types of roles different community stakeholders can play in social planning work in the CV moving forward.
SPARC will commit to delivering two workshops, including staff time, travel and food and CVSPS will look after finding a venue and working with local governments to get dates determined and people to the workshops. We had suggested 2 half-day workshops but upon looking at dates at the meeting with local government representatives we decided on Nov. 7 from 1PM-7PM (dinner included)
- Wendy Morin is working on a venue for the workshop
- Betty and Bunny are having a teleconference with Scott Graham (SPARC) on Sept. 25 to plan the workshop. If anyone else wants to join us in the planning please let us know!
- Invitation emails will go out to local governments, Community Health Network, Food Policy Council as soon as possible. Once they have gone out Local government reps will speak to their colleagues so we get a good attendance and as many local government people as possible.
- Betty, Bunny and Joanne will organize delegations to local governments to update them on CVSPS work and invite to Nov 7
- Living Wage Campaign
The Living Wage letters for employers have bee drafted and are ready to be sent. There was discussion about waiting until after the Federal election to send them and this was agreed to although we will mention it in the delegations to local governments
Living Wage for BC Families had a webinar for local governments and it is now in PP form on their website and Betty has sent it to our local governments – http://www.livingwageforfamilies.ca/local_governments_webinar
There are also new resources on the Living Wage website for employers – http://www.livingwageforfamilies.ca/local_governments_webinar
Note: Following the meeting Arzeena Hamir contacted us and said she thought there was some openness at CVRD Board so CVRD Board and staff have received a letter requesting they become Living Wage employers.
- June 18 Island wide Social Planning Meeting
Bunny and Betty attended an island wide meeting that was very productive. Representatives from Victoria, Cowichan, Nanaimo, Comox Valley, Campbell River and Powell River were there. Comox Valley is the only social planning organization without any staff support. There are many different arrangements – some are staff within local government, some are non-profits with grants from local government and some are non-profits with no municipal government funding but have other sources of funding. The group agreed to meet every 6 months as we have many projects in common (eg Living Wage) and thought we could collaborate on some initiatives. The next meeting is in December 2019.
Information about Social Planning in other areas:
- Victoria – https://www.communitycouncil.ca
- Cowichan – http://www.socialplanningcowichan.org
- Nanaimo – https://www.nanaimo.ca/your-government/departments-contacts/departments/sections/community-development/community-cultural-planning
- Campbell River – Cleo Corbett, Senior Planner is responsible for function but no social planning department
- Powell River – https://www.prpeak.com/community/powell-river-area-s-new-social-planner-outlines-plans-1.23901234
- Social Planning for North Okanogan – https://www.socialplanning.ca
Roger has rebuilt our website and it is live again so please become a member if you
haven’t already and encourage your friends and colleagues! Membership letters will be distributed again this fall so watch for them and share with friends and colleagues! One of the delegations we will do for local government will be to K’ómoks First Nation and we will encourage them to become members and attend Nov. 7
Vital Signs – Pam reported that she contacted CV Community Foundation regarding plans for further Vitals Signs reports and they have no plans at the moment – the interval between reports may be longer than 2 years. They are initiating Vital Signs conversations (first with youth) about the Vital Signs Report
- Next Meetings: All meetings at Courtenay Library 11:30AM – 1:30 PM
- Nov 5 Inter-agency Updates and Brown Bag Lunch
- Jan 7 2020
- March 3, 2020
- May 5, 2020 – AGM